What Do We Believe?
What a church believes about God will determine how the mission of the church is carried out, how decisions are made, how resources are allocated, and how people are valued. What we believe matters!
“God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
At CPC, we believe that God reveals himself in a general way through the wonders of creation so that we see his power and attributes clearly displayed through all things that have been made. God also reveals himself specifically through the Bible to address the universal problem of man’s sin and to provide the solution, forgiveness of our sin through faith in Jesus Christ.
We believe that the Bible is true and trustworthy to provide practical wisdom for how to live faithfully and graciously in a complex and sometimes harsh world. And we believe that our calling as a church is to bring glory to God by extending the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ to the least and the lost among us.
As a Presbyterian Church, we value our rich heritage which stems from the Protestant Reformation of the 1500’s. During this period in church history men like Martin Luther and John Calvin sought to restore Biblical Christianity by bringing reformation to the Roman Catholic Church.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.”
The basic tenants of the Protestant Reformation were: Christ followers are saved by God's Grace alone (Sola Gratia), through faith alone (Sola Fide), to the Glory of God alone (Soli Deo Gloria), according to the ultimate authority, God's word alone (Sola Scriptura).
The essence of our theology is that God is in control, and for him nothing is impossible. (Genesis 18:14,Jeremiah 32:17, Matthew 19:26) Consequently, our faith rests squarely on his faithfulness, not our own merits.
The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
We are affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), a
relatively new and more conservative presbyterian denomination.
The PCA is known for:
- Focusing on the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the only pathway to life change.
- Biblically sound teaching that is faithful to the inerrant word of God.
- It’s commitment to local and international missions.
Our denominational affiliation not only provides resources and networking opportunities worldwide, it also provides accountability that extends beyond our particular church.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God's truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God's people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.